Wiki-palvelun osoite wiki.helsinki.fi muuttui wiki-emerita.it.helsinki.fi -osoitteeksi 4.12.2023 – katso lisätietoja tiedotteestamme: https://flamma.helsinki.fi/s/1uCkV
The Wiki address wiki.helsinki.fi has changed to wiki-emerita.it.helsinki.fi on 4 December 2023 – see more information on Flamma: https://flamma.helsinki.fi/s/sreoE
Wiki-tjänstens adress wiki.helsinki.fi ändrades till wiki-emerita.it.helsinki.fi 4.12.2023 – läs mer i vårt meddelande: https://flamma.helsinki.fi/s/fe3MT
The workshop dinner
The workshop dinner will take place at Vanha Ylioppilastalo (Mannerheimintie 3) on the evening of Thursday 26 May. In this picture, Vanha ylioppilastalo is on the left; the dinner will be served in Tiedekuntasali (second floor). The dinner starts at 18:30. All plenary and invited speakers are invited free of charge.
Lightly roasted salmon, parsnip and whitefish roe
Grilled chateaubriand, port wine sauce and mushroom butter
Cheese cake and sea buckthorn berries
Travel & lodging
The workshop takes place in Helsinki, Finland, at the university campus of Kumpula. Note that there are multiple campuses; Kumpula is not the one downtown.
The locations of the Exactum building, the Central Railway Station and the suggested hotels (see below) are indicated on this Google map.
Traveling to Helsinki
The recommended destination is Helsinki-Vantaa Airport (airport code HEL), which is located about 25 km north of the city centre.
Citizens of a few countries are required to have a visa for entry into Finland. You may check the requirements here.
Traveling from the airport
To arrive at the Kumpula campus from the airport, you can optionally either travel to the city center and from there to Kumpula campus (simplest, particularly if your hotel is downtown), or travel directly to Kumpula (shortest, but the route is slightly more adventurous). The buses from the airport to the center arrive at the central railway station, which is about 5 km to the Kumpula campus. Some of the hotels listed below are within a short walking distance from the central station. The university guest house is about 2 km from the central station and about 5 km from the Kumpula campus.
Airport - City center of Helsinki (Rautatientori, Central Railway Station)
- Local bus no. 615: Single fare is 5.50 EUR, and the journey takes about 35 minutes to the main railway station; see the airport bus line descriptions for further options. The bus ticket type is regional, as the airport is outside of the city, and the ticket is valid for transfers (other buses, trams) within 80 minutes. Tickets may be bought from the driver (cash) or from a ticket machine (cash or card). So, you can continue by tram or bus to the campus or your hotel if you prefer not to walk. Consult the Journey Planner for the exact route.
- Train: You can take either I or P train from the airport to the city center. Single fare is 5.50 EUR, and the journey takes about 30 minutes. Tickets can be bought from VR ticket machines, HSL ticket machines or from conductor on the train in the ticket sales compartment. You have to buy a regional ticket (Helsinki region public transport ticket), which is valid for transfers (buses, trams) within 80 minutes (until the time written on the ticket).
- Finnair bus: Single fare is 6.20 EUR, and the journey takes 30 minutes. The bus arrives at the main Railway station like bus no. 615. Ticket may be bought from the driver by cash or by credit card. Note that the ticket is not valid on any other means of travel (trams, other buses, etc.)
- Airport taxi: The airport taxis (yellow minivans) have flat rates from 29 EUR for 1 person/stop, less for multiple people, and leave when the minivan has enough passengers.
- A "normal" taxi (yellow taksi sign on the roof) to the center of the city from the airport should be about 40-45 EUR. All taxis have a meter and charge the same rate, and they accept major credit cards.
Airport - Kumpula campus
- By local buses. The same fares apply as with bus no. 615 above. See the Journey Planner for a suitable combination of buses or take a taxi from the airport.
Travelling from the city centre to Kumpula
Central Railway Station - Kumpula campus
- By local buses. Approx. 5 km, 15 minutes (+- a few minutes depending on the bus). A number of buses (including 75, 77, 55, and several of the form 7xy) leaving from Rautatientori (Central Railway Station) pass by the campus; you can ask the driver if they stop at the "Kumpulan kampus" stop or, again, use the Journey Planner to find the perfect bus for you. A single fare ticket within Helsinki costs 2.60 - 3.20 EUR (depending on how you buy the ticket, see the ticket prices) and is valid for 60 minutes.
When you approach the campus by bus, you will leave the more tightly built downtown to see some green area. The campus consists of grey buildings behind some trees on top of a small hill on the left side of the road. A big white ball (something to do with weather forecasting) will be visible on top of the physics building. The math department is in a building called "Exactum", which is connected with the physics building "Physicum" (the one with the white ball on top).
University guest house Töölön tornit
- To/from the Central Railway Station: by tram 3T, or walk about 2 km.
- To/from the Kumpula campus: by tram 8 or bus 70T.
If you are an invited speaker, we will make the arrangements for your accommodation. Let us know about the dates at helsinkiworkshop2016(at)gmail.com. Besides the hotels listed below, some invited speakers will stay at the university guest house Töölön tornit / Töölö Towers.
Otherwise, there are plenty of choices for accommodation in Helsinki, from affordable hostels to luxury hotels. Hotels in the center of Helsinki can be found e.g. from Helsinki tourist office or from Google maps. For different choices of hostels, see e.g. Hostel World.
In the table below we have listed some suggestions for your stay during the conference.
The listed locations can be found on this Google map. Please contact the hotel directly for reservations.
Hilton Helsinki Strand
|GLO Hotel Kluuvi||high-range|
Sokos Hotel Helsinki
|Sokos Hotel Presidentti||mid-range|
|Solo Sokos Hotel Torni||mid-range||web-site|
Tel. +358 20 1234 604
|Holiday Inn City Centre||mid-range||web-site|
Tel. +358 9 54255000
Hotel Cumulus Kaisaniemi
Hotel Cumulus Hakaniemi
Park Hotel Käpylä